The Eleonora Duse Scholarship
FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
New York Campus
Eleonora Duse was an inspiration to Lee Strasberg and an early case study in the development of Stanislavsky’s “System” and The Method. As a result, this scholarship represents the artistic relationship between these theatrical magnates and the Institute’s role in developing future generations of vibrant international actors.
The Eleonora Duse Scholarship is annually awarded to one passionate student dedicated to lifelong artistic development and actor training. The winning candidate is selected based on the applicant’s artistic achievements, community leadership, and interest in Lee Strasberg’s work.
The Eleonora Duse Scholarship is open to international non-matriculated students only. To be considered, individuals must submit the completed application and required supplemental materials. The Eleanora Duse Scholarship is awarded each academic year for three consecutive semesters (Fall, Winter & Spring) of full-time study in the One-Year Conservatory Program at the New York campus. Scholarship recipients should expect to begin their studies at the start of the Fall semester commencing in September. Please pay close attention to the application deadlines; applications must be submitted by email between April 1st and June 1st – no earlier or later – without exception.
Scholarship applications can be sent to [email protected]. Please scan and email ALL required documents.
- 18 years or older by the start of the Fall term of the current year
- International student (not a US citizen or permanent resident)
- Intend to study in New York for the Fall 2023 term if they are chosen
- Have completed high school or the equivalent with a 2.5 GPA (75/100) or higher
- One completed scholarship application
- Copy of your latest academic transcript
- Two letters of recommendation, no more than six months old from a professional or teacher who can speak about your work
- One passport-size photo, for identification purposes only
- Copy of valid passport
Non-native English speakers must submit:
- Proof of English language proficiency (see International Student Admissions guidelines for accepted proof of English: https://strasberg.edu/new-york-theatre-film-school/prospective-students/international-students/)
- April 1, 2023: Opening date for accepting applications
- June 1, 2023: Application deadline; all materials must be emailed by this date
- June/July: Finalist Interviews. Only finalists will be interviewed (in person or via Zoom)
- August: All applicants notified via email of their application status
- Scholarship is awarded for tuition for three consecutive sessions of study (One Year Conservatory – one academic year of Fall, Winter & Spring terms):
- Fall: September – December
- Winter: January – March
- Spring: April – June
- Any incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- Applications must be submitted by email to: [email protected]
- The application deadlines are strict – do not apply earlier or later or the application will not be considered.
- If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will not be considered.
- Application materials will not be returned.
- After we receive your completed application, you will receive a confirmation receipt email.
- Housing and books/materials are not included with the scholarship, which includes tuition only. The winning candidate will need to make their own housing arrangements.
- There is no audition. If you are selected as a finalist, there is an interview that can be completed via Zoom or in-person.
- You are welcome to apply again if you have applied in past years and were not selected as the scholarship recipient.
- The scholarship application is the only application you need to complete; you do not need to submit the standard application for admission to the school.