THE ELEONORA DUSE SCHOLARSHIP
FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
Eleonora Duse was an inspiration to Lee Strasberg and an early case study in the development of Stanislavsky’s “System” and The Method. As a result, this scholarship represents the artistic relationship between these theatrical magnates and the Institute’s role in developing future generations of vibrant international actors.
The Eleonora Duse Scholarship is annually awarded to one passionate student dedicated to lifelong artistic development and actor training. The winning candidate is selected based on the applicant’s artistic achievements, community leadership, and interest in Lee Strasberg’s work.
The Eleonora Duse Scholarship is open to international non-matriculated students only. (Domestic students should apply for the Johnny Depp Scholarship). To be considered, individuals must submit the completed application and required supplemental materials. The Eleanora Duse Scholarship is awarded each academic year for three consecutive semesters (Fall, Winter & Spring) of full-time study in the One-Year Conservatory Program at the New York campus. Scholarship recipients should expect to begin their studies at the start of the Fall semester commencing in September. Completed applications, including all supplemental information, must be postmarked by the application due date.
Applications should be mailed to:
The Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute
Attn: The Eleonora Duse Scholarship
115 East 15th Street | Lee Strasberg Way
New York, NY 10003
- 18 years or older by the start of the Fall semester of the current year
- International student (not a US citizen or permanent resident)
- Be a New York applicant for the Fall term
- Have completed high school or the equivalent with a 2.5 GPA (75/100) or higher
- One completed scholarship application
- Copy of your latest academic transcript
- Two letters of recommendation, no more than six months old from a professional or teacher who can speak about your work
- One passport-size photo, for identification purposes only
- Copy of valid passport
Non-native English speakers must submit:
- TOEFL exam results with a score of 85 or higher (taken within two years of application deadline)
- April 1st-June 1st: Opening date for accepting applications
- June of the current year: Application deadline; all materials must be postmarked by this date
- June/July: Finalist Interviews. Only finalists will be interviewed (in person or via Skype)
- August: All applicants notified via email of their application status
- Three Consecutive semesters of study (Fall, Winter & Spring):
- Fall: September-December
- Winter: January- March
- Spring: April-June
- Any incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you will not be considered.
- Application materials will not be returned.
- After we receive your completed application, you will receive a confirmation receipt email from The Institute.
- Housing and educational materials are not included with the scholarship, and the winning candidate will need to make their own housing arrangements.
- There is no audition. If you are selected as a finalist, there is an interview that can be completed via Skype or in-person.
- You are welcome to apply again if you have applied in past years and were not selected as the scholarship recipient.
- The scholarship application is the only application you need to complete; you do not need to submit the standard application for admission to the school.